What to Look for When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon
Picking your cosmetic surgeon is an important decision that can affect you for some time. How do you know if your choice is right for you? Is there a list out there somewhere that can guide you towards the right surgeon for you? At GLOW Surgical Arts, we think there is! Led by Drs. Paul Gorman and Renee Marshall, our staff has composed this list of proven tips to help you choose the right cosmetic surgeon.
Tip 1: Get references.
If you're looking to have a specific procedure done, consider asking your friends, family, and co-workers for referrals if they have gotten a similar procedure. You also should seek out opinions from your family doctor and other people you know who work in the medical profession. For example, surgical technicians and operating room nurses are excellent sources for information about a cosmetic surgeon's skill level.
Tip 2: Find a surgeon who will answer all your questions.
When you've narrowed your list of candidates to perform your cosmetic surgery, you should be ready to ask questions. In this situation, there are no stupid questions, especially when you're paying the surgeon and putting your appearance and health in their hands. Schedule your consultation and prepare your list of questions ahead of time. At GLOW Surgical Arts, we believe a robust list of questions will look something like this:
1. What is the surgeon's area of expertise?
2. How many years has your surgeon been practicing these procedures?
3. How many total procedures has this surgeon performed?
4. Is the surgeon friendly and confident?
5. If the procedure is not going to be performed in the doctor's office, does the surgeon use an accredited surgical facility with up-to-date emergency equipment and anesthesia monitoring devices?
6. What is the total price of everything involved?
7. Can you see before-and-after pictures of other patients who have undergone this procedure from this surgeon?
Tip 3: Feel comfortable saying no.
Cosmetic surgery is a big decision and you should feel completely comfortable with the surgeon you choose. Watch for these red flags when considering a cosmetic surgeon:
- Does not frequently perform the procedure you are considering. You do not want to be the trial run for any cosmetic surgeon.
- Dismisses the risks of surgery. Also, if the surgeon is unwilling or reluctant to discuss possible complications and guarantees only perfect results.
- Refuses to show before-and-after photos of other patients.
- Does not allow you to ask questions during a consultation, or treats your questions dismissively.
- Offers bargain fees or gimmicks.
- Does not routinely involve themselves in post-operative care.
Cosmetic surgery in Redwood City
Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple, is still a surgical procedure. You need to evaluate for yourself if the answers you are getting seem realistic. At GLOW Surgical Arts, Dr. Paul Gorman and Dr. Renee Marshall are ready to meet you in consultation and answer all of your questions, and we’re happy to show off some of our past success stories. Ready to find out more? Contact GLOW Surgical Arts today at (650) 241-2209 if you live in Redwood City or anywhere in the Bay Area of California.